Vinux 1.5 Released

Anthony Sales tony.sales at rncb.ac.uk
Mon May 25 00:16:47 BST 2009

Vinux 1.5 is now available for download. The URL's are:

http://vinux.org.uk/downloads/old/1.5/Vinux-1.5.iso
http://vinux.org.uk/downloads/old/1.5/Vinux-1.5.iso.md5sum.txt

New features include: Speech-Dispatcher as the default speech server,
YASR configured to use the Festival speech synthesiser, New shortcuts
to start/kill Speech-Dispatcher (ctrl+shift+s and ctrl+shift+k), Orca
weather keystroke (insert+w) set to Birmingham UK (UKXX0018), Larger
fonts and higher contrast theme by default, Installation of the
Firefox Accessibar plugin, Mousekeys enabled by default, Gedit's
advanced plugins enabled by default and the Medibuntu repository
enabled by default.

Vinux 1.5 will probably be the last release of Vinux based on Ubuntu
as there are too many bugs in the latest release and their rapid and
cutting edge release cycle means that it is not really a suitable base
for creating a stable accessible distribution. So I am planning to switch
to Debian as a base. I believe this will provide a much more stable platform
in the long term.

drbongo