here are three things I found after installing ubuntu that need looking in to

nolan nolan at thewordnerd.info
Tue Mar 31 22:09:50 BST 2009

On 03/31/2009 12:12 PM, mike wrote:
> 1, The audio sounds like it is speeding up at times when the system logs in. This has been the case for a while, but Orca works fine.

I think this is an artifact of the switch back to ALSA. It goes away
when I install a pulse/SD stack. Hopefully pulse will eventually be
snappy and stable enough such that SD can use it as effectively as ALSA,
but that's outside of any one group's control.

> 2, The adman apps are still not accessible from the user account like they are on the live CD. If Luke's fix was suppose to fix this, it isn't working yet.

In my experience, they're inaccessible if prompted for a password, but
seem to work if this step is skipped. I ran synaptic, was prompted for
and entered a password, then lost access. When I logged back in, the
authentication info must have been cached or something, because no
password was requested and the app was accessible. If sudo shares the
same caching mechanism, it may be possible to sudo something first to
authenticate, then run the app. Hopefully this resolves point #3 below.
This would also explain why theyy work from the CD; presumably you
weren't prompted for a password there.

Similarly, I found something else that was a bit bothersome. When
accessing an admin app, I can't seem to switch away to anything else and
have access. This is easy to duplicate in the installer. Often I'd start
an install then realize that I'd forgotten to configure Orca to use the
laptop layout, but I'd be unable to start the preferences UI and switch
back to the installer. This made things especially difficult in the
final step, because the progress display doesn't update when reviewed,
and it'd be nice to switch away from and back to the dialog to read an
update.

I encountered this issue today when Orca crashed in a Synaptic session.
I relaunched Orca using my hotkey, only I couldn't either access the
current app or switch away.