Pulse clarification

nolan nolan at thewordnerd.info
Tue Mar 31 06:20:35 BST 2009

Since at least one other person was curious about this, and since it
confused me:

It looks as if accessible installs are intended to forego pulse. I was
confused by the presence of pulse-session in my list of processes,
thinking that perhaps the newer versions of pulse had dramatically
reduced latency, but it wasn't using pulse at all when I installed paman
and friends to try connecting.

That said, I'm glad there's an easy and non-invasive way to
disable/enable pulse. I noticed some sound glitches on my Eee using pure
ALSA that vanish under pulse, so I'm seeing how newer versions perform.
Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that the pulse/speech-dispatcher stack
performs any better under Jaunty, so I may switch back to ALSA and just
deal with the occasional sound studdering.