problems after updating 9.04 to night

nolan nolan at thewordnerd.info
Mon Mar 30 08:10:50 BST 2009

On 03/30/2009 01:43 AM, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> No, and this should be fixed as of the msot recent updatesw that you
> retrieve, hwoever you have to create an empty file in your home
> directory, .pulse_a11y_nostart. This file will be created on fresh
> installs however.

I'm curious. From my perspective, there have been huge speech latency
improvements in Jaunty out of the box. I'm speaking as someone who
loaded Intrepid onto a USB stick to have a backup if the Jaunty install
failed, so I ran out-of-the-box Intrepid and Jaunty installs within the
span of a few hours and can definitely justify the comparison. In
looking through my processes, I'm seeing the usual pulseaudio processes,
and am quite satisfied with the low latency I'm receiving, particularly
if I add my user to the pulse-rt group and get realtime scheduling. If
I'm experiencing any latency due to pulse, it's barely noticeable, much
less so than in Intrepid, and I'd rather take the latency hit in
exchange for the benefits of pulseaudio (bluetooth routing, 5.1
configuration, etc.)

It's great that we now have an easy way to disable pulse, and I'm all in
favor of that. Will I have to disable pulse if I want my system to work
after applying the updates, however? Hopefully not, because what I
experienced after the update wasn't like anything I'd ever experienced
in nearly a year of using pulse, and I hope I don't have the choice of
either an  accessible system or the benefits of PA, but not both.

Thanks for all your hard work on this! Breakage aside, it's performing
mostly solidly on my Eee. In Intrepid, I had one hotkey to restart
speech-dispatcher, another to restart orca, and I'd have to employ them
both at various points very regularly, with no logs or anything that
might help me file a useful bug report. I haven't needed to restart orca
in over an hour now--not since before this install at least--and that
was unheard of on Intrepidd. Sure, that's due to a combination of lots
of efforts, but it's yielding nice results on the a11y front. :)