problems after updating 9.04 to night

nolan nolan at thewordnerd.info
Mon Mar 30 07:27:22 BST 2009

I can confirm this. I took the plunge and installed Jaunty earlier this
evening. Quite impressed thus far. I was rather skeptical reading
everyone's praise, as getting a good accessibility configuration seems
to be a bit of a black art and I couldn't imagine getting it right
without individual tweaking, but it's very snappy out of the box on my
Eee, and I'm actually thinkingg I won't need to install
speech-dispatcher and deal with custom configs. For the curious, I'm
using the gnome-speech espeak driver, which worked poorly on Intrepid
but performs nicely on Jaunty.

But the latest updates broke speech. Orca either spoke at normal speed,
or incredibly sped up for a phrase or two. It also seemed to truncate
everything such that the ends of all phrases were lost. This didn't seem
to affect sound playback, though, as I successfully played an MP3 just fine.

I just re-installed the beta, and will avoid applying updates for a
while until this is resolved. The beta seems quite reliable.