Something Strange

Storm Dragon stormdragon2976 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:54:54 GMT 2009

As a result of doing several experiments, I have had to reinstall Ubuntu
several times.  Most of the experiments were in the hope of getting my
headphone jacks and microphone working.  Although I haven't managed to
do that, I have discovered somthing.  I have had a lot of problems with
Orca suddenly going silent.  No big deal, I just relaunch it and it
works fine for a while longer before going silent again.  I had no clue
what could be causing it, it seemed to be a resurface of the problem in
8.04, although a little less persistant.  This time, as in this morning
with my latest complete reformat and install, Orca hasn't crashed at
all.  I was using the version of Orca that comes on 8.10, but then I
upgraded to the latest trunk version.  So far neither version has
stopped speaking once.  I have been using it for several hours now.  The
only difference this time is I haven't installed the
ubuntu-restricted-extras package.  I know the stuff in that package is
totally unrelated to Orca, but this is twice now I have noticed the
difference.  I was sort of reluctant to write about it because it seems
a little far fetched, but I have actively been trying to cause the
problem with Orca suddenlty stopping, it seems to happen a lot in
terminal, and it hasn't failed once.  So, is there something in the
restricted package that could be conflicting with Orca?
Thanks
Storm
Check out the Storm Dragon blog:
                       http://www.stormdragon.us/