Cygwin / Dragon / SAPI / Linux

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Jun 30 15:50:15 BST 2009

Thomas Lloyd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure if you have tried Cygwin but that does allow you to open both a
> full gnome desktop and individual applications within windows and in
> theory should allow you to control the system remotely over ssh via
> Dragon.
>
> You can run the system full screen and you would not know that you were
> even using a windows system.
>
> If you would like further information let me know as i have worked quite
> extensively on such setups.

gack.  have I ever told you just how badly cygwin and I get along? The past
three times I installed it, if those my XP environment so badly I had to
reinstall... everything  I guess another option would be to use the Ubuntu
Windows Linux merge.

I think I'm reluctant to use these to because Windows always degrades for me. I
might be able to keep her from degrading if I don't run any applications on
Windows except the bare minimum but, it always degrades.

I liked the purity of running limits as my host. It always feels like home and
like its the system I should be using at a deep and fundamental emotional level.
I cannot emphasize enough how much it feels like my computer spiritual
philosophical home.

but, as I often say, functionality trumps politics so I should drag out a 250 GB
laptop drive and start hacking away. Two guiding questions. I want to keep all
of my data on a separate filesystem/partition. If I'm not using Windows
applications for anything, is it possible to do this? can I run Thunderbird
under cygwin?  can I have a separate partition running ext4 or nilfs? I suspect
these two are true with ubuntu windows merge

Can I run a virtual machine in addition to cygwin/uwm?
Kennedy was all on Windows 7 because of lost a Windows XP disc with sata drivers
as well as my video drivers and my WebCam drivers etc. etc. (God, I thought
linux aged poorly with regards to drivers. You have no idea how good it is in
comparison to Windows)
.>
> As a side note i have been integrating the Microsoft SAPI interface into
> Linux and have been mainly concentrating on text to speech but there is
> the speech to text interface that I have tested but not yet done any
> work on. I see that Dragon also has the potential to have such an
> interface developed in the same fashion that I have created for SAPI. I
> have quite a large amount of experience and as along as we can get the
> bare minimum components of Dragon running under Wine your away.
>
> I could do with a sneak peak at the details on the Dragon scripting
> interface to see if it supports COM automation under windows. If so it
> will be more straight forward for me.

don't bother listing interface. (I think) take a look at natlink and dragonfly.
 natlink is a low-level exporting of some Dragon interfaces into Python.
Dragonfly places a higher Lowell wrapper around these interfaces and makes it
easier to work with the terms of grammar and action code. For what it's worth,
people using these easy interfaces to speech recognition are almost universally
Python driven in part because you can write Python code using speech recognition
with relatively small modifications to your environment. It's not very efficient
but, it is possible

http://code.google.com/p/dragonfly/  will get you started in the right direction
with all components

> I have a little bit of experience of the SAPI speech recognition system
> and never rated it really, that is why i have left it alone till now.
> Anyone who has experience of it can let me know otherwise.

We can help you find people with experience. Whether they will talk to me is
quite another story. :-) but we will do a weekend.

> I would love someone with experience of the Vista SDK to come on board
> and help me suck out the SAPI 5.3 components to see if we can get them
> running under wine. Any volunteers?

This is going to be a problem. Microsoft just cut back on their speech
recognition group if rumor  a thing). We might feel the find some of the people
on the street and they might be a let help so, again we'll take a look.