Future of accessibility under Ubuntu

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Tue Jun 30 04:21:58 BST 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> > What can be done to make accessibility work more accessible? :-)
>
> well, it would really really help if you, or someone just like you could make
> NaturallySpeaking completely reliable under wine. Then we could examine

A good goal, but not quite what I meant!  I meant: how do we make
the software development process which underpins that kind of work,
more accessible?  It looks pretty frightening from the outside: lots
of subtleties about the interactions of different disabilities. Lots
of subtleties about special devices.  Interfaces and protocols not
encountered elsewhere, I'd bet.  So there's a lot to learn.

> usability issues around transferring the dictation results into Linux
> applications. I've become a fan of a dictation box variation for this purpose.
>
> Another thing, accessibility projects could do because language developers won't
> is building a smart framework for programming by voice. It's not pretty what we
> have out there today (a collection of circus tricks) and it would be nice to
> change things.

Yes, I've not even tried to dictate any significant amounts of code.
It's all rather tedious with the punctuation.  It might need a new
language that avoids punctuation, but even COBOL has it's share of
that!

        Hugh