Ubuntu, Debian and Vinux!

reSet Sakrecoer sakrecoer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 01:14:03 BST 2009

I don't feel you pessimistic at all. except maybe the last sentence. I
really enjoyed the reading. Respectful and open-minded. I believe in your
words when they reach the understanding level. The one level where the
solution is not a correct answer, but the best choice in a certain
situations which eventually lead to balance: a suit of equally strong ups
and downs or lefts and rights. Not a flat line.

Now my only linux experience is poor. It is short (although I'm attracted
since 2001) and it is Ubuntu, because they made the only "out of the box"
sollution to my hardware (Macintaube) and because they made ubuntu studio.
I'm not a VI, and i have understood recently that there seems to be a big
audience for linux in that world. And see, (the mind version of that verb) i
look forward to what they will bring to it. (it as in linux and open source)
Because i believe what forces the frame to burst is it's limitations.

Go for what you dreams tell you! They can guide you thru the acid rain drops
of the fearfullest critics.

Yours encouraging,
Sakrecoer

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:27 PM, Anthony Sales <tony.sales at rncb.ac.uk>wrote:

> [...]
> distro Canonical should acknowledge that the requirements are demanding
> enough to have a special version of Ubuntu aimed at VI users. In fact I did
> suggest this to canonical in the beginning and they did not want to go down
> this route.
>
> I suppose in an ideal world there should be a distro that is accessible to
> all no matter what your disability, but in practise this rarely happens.
> Firstly the VI are a small minority of people without much economic clout,
> and secondly the difficluties a VI user faces in using a primary graphical
> interface are enourmous. So we can either compromise and accept something
> that is just about accessible, or we can produce something specially for
> the
> VI. I am a realist, I am fed up of waiting for an easy to use accessible
> linux distro, so I decided to get off my ass and make one. And I got quite
> lot of harsh criticism for doing so, and had it not been for the
> encouragement and support I received from Osvaldo I would probably have
> abandoned it shortly afterwards.
>
> However, the beauty of linux in in choice. There are different ways to
> solve
> these problems and neither is correct. They are just different. I think a
> multiplicity of solutions is a good thing anyway. And if nothing else
> starting the Vinux project has really forced me to try to understand how
> Linux works under the hood. I would not claim to be a linux expert, but I
> am
> very experienced teacher with years of experience teaching visually
> impaired
> students and adults and I know what sort of system they need. It has to be
> very simple to use and require no initial understanding of Linux or the
> command line etc.
>
> So back to Ubuntu. As a sighted individual I think Ubuntu is great, it has
> made the Linux desktop accessible to people with no interest in computers
> per
> se, it is easy to use and configure and most hardware just works out of the
> box. This made it an obvious base for Vinux. However 9.04 caused a lot of
> problems and given the rapid and cutting edge nature of the realeases I
> decided reluctantly that I would have to fall back on Debian, which
> provides
> a much better accessibility experience once configured, although I would
> have
> to do a lot more work on the hardware side etc. What VI users need is a
> stable, responsive system, not a cutting edge distro with flashy 3D effects
> etc. So I was not forced to change, but taking everything into account I
> chose Debian, but it was not an easy decision.
>
> However as I said earlier I would abandon the project in a flash if Ubuntu
> (or any other distro) was accessible to VI users out of the box as it was
> sighted users, I just don't think this is going to happen any time soon.

Set Hallström
AKA
reSet Sakrecoer
http://sakrecoer.com
+34 697 903 606

> Did you read this? Realy? i mean like you? did you print this e-mail
without really needing to?
to.....