Promoting idea of getting Ubuntu to adapt to users' accessibility preferences...

Brian Cameron Brian.Cameron at Sun.COM
Thu Jul 30 21:57:19 BST 2009

Scott:

> Sorry for the cross posting.
>
> As we all know different users have different needs of their operating
> system.  Adjusting the system to meet their requirements may take a lot
> of effort for certain users. Some users may not be able to configure the
> system without someone else's assistance.  For computers in public
> spaces (eg. libraries, university computer labs, offices, etc.) it is
> very important that the computers can quickly adapt to different users'
> preferences and return to the defaults after they are finished.
>
> To try to help with this process I've submitted an idea to the Ubuntu
> Brainstorm site.
> If you think this is an interesting idea worth pursuing please *consider
> voting for it*:
>
> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20263/
>
> *What is Web-4-All?*
>
> The Adaptive Technology Resource Centre (ATRC)
> <http://atrc.utoronto.ca/> at the University of Toronto
> <http://www.utoronto.ca/>developed Web-4-All
> <http://web4all.atrc.utoronto.ca/html/english/w4a_home_e.html>, a system
> for easily configuring multi-user public access computer workstations.
> Web-4-All is basically a file which contains the users accessibility
> preferences. These preferences can be stored on a smart card or USB
> flash drive. When the user places this media into a Web-4-All compatible
> system the system automatically updates to match the accessibility
> preferences as best it can. When the user pull the card out of the
> system the computer reverts back to the previous settings.

This does seem like an interesting idea.  To expand upon it, I think
GNOME also needs a solution that works more generally.

There has been talk of enhancing gnome-settings-daemon so that it is
possible for users to hit particular keybindings or other sorts of
gestures (e.g. mouse gestures) to launch AT programs.  This would
allow a user to launch the on-screen-keyboard, text-to-speech, or
magnifier by completing the appropriate gesture (e.g. keypress or
mouse gesture).

I would think that using a specific smart card or USB stick is another
form of "gesture" that would also be good for launching AT programs.
However, wouldn't it be better to come up with a solution that would
support all of these sorts of "gestures" in one place?

Providing a solution that can recognize different sorts of gestures
(perhaps configurable so users can define their own sorts of gestures -
perhaps with other unique hardware based solutions - like pressing a
button on their braille display) seems a way to go about implementing
your idea and also supporting other mechanisms that could be used to
launch AT programs as needed.

Brian