Voxin voices work great, espeak not so much in Ubuntu 9.04

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 21:10:34 BST 2009

I think the equivalence of Eloquence in linux is voxin, which you can
buy for < $10 at http://voxin.oralux.net.  It's basically IBM
Viavoice.  Getting it to work with speakup takes a bit of work.  I
followed these instructions:

http://cvs.freebsoft.org/doc/speechd-up/speechd-up_1.html

On my system (Ubuntu 9.04 x64 using pulseaudio), I had to run
speech-dispatcher and then speechd-up after loging in, but then
everything works very well.  Seeing how much easier it is to just use
espeakup (instructions are at http://stormdragon.us/?p=44), maybe I
should just get off my high horse and learn to like the espeak voice.

Bill