ubuntu 9.04 accessibility

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 11:40:01 BST 2009

I also have managed to get a fairly stable version of Ubuntu 9.04 x64,
but I followed a different route.  I didn't have to un-install or stop
using any major package, including pulseaudio, compiz, and Gnome
Speech Services.  I don't need speech-dispatcher.  Basically, I
updated to the bleeding-edge version of several packages, as described
at

    http://live.gnome.org/Orca/UbuntuJaunty#preview

However, I do not recommend blind/VI users follow this bleeding-edge
approach.  Your approach has less risk.  It's nice to see, though,
that better accessibility is coming down the pipe.

Bill