Ubuntu 9.04 installation instructions via Orca

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Wed Jul 1 19:04:51 BST 2009

Hi All:

I grown exhausted from the beating up Ubuntu has taken over the past
several weeks.  Admittedly, Ubuntu has had unfortunate events happen
with audio integration that cause speech to become corrupted.  I think a
lot of this has to do more with Pulse Audio integration issues than
anything else.

Much of my frustration is that I have not had the luxury of time to
spend looking at Ubuntu-specific problems.  I work primarily on
OpenSolaris because that's where my funding comes from -- many thanks to
Sun Microsystems for its courage and commitment to fund and pioneer open
source accessibility.

I hold a place in my heart for Ubuntu, however, because their early work
with integrating accessibility into their live CD helped bring GNOME
accessibility to more and more people.  I believe part of Orca's success
is due to Ubuntu's work in this space.

So, while watching some Orca regression tests run on my OpenSolaris
machine today, I spent the time to download Ubuntu 9.04 and install it
on a decrepit laptop.  I installed it twice - once with the screen
reader option and once without the screen reader option.

When I installed with the screen reader option, things went fairly
smoothly and I ended up with an installation that spoke as expected.
When I installed without the screen reader option, speech exhibited the
problem everyone has been complaining about.  I was able to remedy the
situation easily by doing a "sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio" and then
rebooting.

I've written some brief instructions for Ubuntu Jaunty up on the Orca
WIKI.  All said and done, Ubuntu 9.04 is not the accessibility disaster
that people are making it out to be:

http://live.gnome.org/Orca/UbuntuJaunty

Please note that the above is a WIKI.  The heart of a WIKI is the
community, which includes all of you.  If you have constructive and
helpful things to add, please add them to the WIKI so other people can
benefit.  In addition, if you have feedback for Ubuntu, please let the
Ubuntu folks know.

Will

PS - Reminder - I work for Sun Microsystems on OpenSolaris.  Just
because I wrote up these brief Ubuntu Jaunty notes today does not
automatically make me your for-free-at-your-beck-and-call Ubuntu support
whipping boy. ;-)

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/indiana/status/accessibility/AccessibleLiveCd/