No subject

Fri Dec 18 02:33:18 GMT 2009

sure you can all tell me if that was true)

In terms of accessibilty, please treat me as a complete newcomer. I have
orca installed, but as to getting it to work ... PASS ..

Is there a set of instructions to 'turn it on' ?

And, yes, I'm still looking for a browser that can read web sites. It seems
pointless (to me) to complain about sites not being readable, when we don't
know what the current 'flavour of the month' is for standards.

<start rant>
As I mention in my introduction on assistive web use, it is frustrating for
me - but an impossible task for software writers not knowing who, or what,
the next standard will be.

Maybe it is time the assistive community "got together" and decided if the
rules from 1900, 1990, 2000, 2010 are the ones they actually want us to work
to ?

Read the top part, and the bottom part of this -->
http://forum.phillw.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32

Because, until "they" decide, the code in the middle is meaningless.

There is a guy (the author of -->
http://forum.phillw.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33 )

I've had a chat with him, he's a programmer, he's interested ... Where do I
send him ?

<end rant/>

Regards,

Phill.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Kenny Hitt <kenny at hittsjunk.net> wrote:

> Hi.  I have to disagree.
> Two years ago, Orca provided reasonably good access with Firefox.  Over the
> last 2 years, I've seen Firefox become less and less
> usable with Orca.  It's now to the point where Firefox is my last choice
> for browzers.
> I try the page first in elinks.  If that doesn't work, I push the link to
> my Nokia E71.
> If it can't handle the page, and I really need to read it, I'll use
> Firefox.
>
> I wish Firevox was still being maintained, since it would probably provide
> better access than Firefox with Orca.
>
>          Kenny
>
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 05:10:51PM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:
> > For Ubuntu, it's best to use the Orca screen reader with Firefox to
> > see if your web page is accessible, since that's how most users do it.
> >  You can start it from the command line with 'orca'.  However, there
> > are some current bugs in Orca related to changes in Firefox 3.6, which
> > are being worked on actively.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Phill Whiteside <phillw at phillw.net>
> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > a couple of questions ..
> > >
> > > 1) Is Fire Vox now un-supported (I cannot find anything for 3.6 and 3.7
> is
> > > in release candidate testing) ?
> > >
> > > 1a) If no longer supported, is there a Web Reader available that I can
> use
> > > to check to see if my understanding of the various 'standards' actually
> > > works ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Phill.
> > >
> > > --

--001636ed7469e88cad048015ba44

I&#39;m not sure if I will get a response, but I have asked the last known =
maintainer of FireVox to let me know what is happening with it re: 3.6 and =
3.7<br><br>From reading in the past about it, it did seem quite a decent re=
ader (I&#39;m sure you can all tell me if that was true)<br>
e orca installed, but as to getting it to work ... PASS ..<br><br>Is there =
a set of instructions to &#39;turn it on&#39; ?<br><br>And, yes, I&#39;m st=
ill looking for a browser that can read web sites. It seems pointless (to m=
e) to complain about sites not being readable, when we don&#39;t know what =
the current &#39;flavour of the month&#39; is for standards.<br>
use, it is frustrating for me - but an impossible task for software writers=
 not knowing who, or what, the next standard will be. <br><br>Maybe it is t=
ime the assistive community &quot;got together&quot; and decided if the rul=
es from 1900, 1990, 2000, 2010 are the ones they actually want us to work t=
o ?<br>
/forum.phillw.net/viewtopic.php?f=3D14&amp;t=3D32">http://forum.phillw.net/=
decide, the code in the middle is meaningless.<br>
/viewtopic.php?f=3D14&amp;t=3D33">http://forum.phillw.net/viewtopic.php?f=
rammer, he&#39;s interested ... Where do I send him ?<br>
=3D"gmail_quote">On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Kenny Hitt <span dir=3D"l=
tr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kenny at hittsjunk.net">kenny at hittsjunk.net</a>&gt;<=
/span> wrote:<br>
r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">Hi. =A0I have to =
disagree.<br>
Two years ago, Orca provided reasonably good access with Firefox. =A0Over t=
he last 2 years, I&#39;ve seen Firefox become less and less<br>
usable with Orca. =A0It&#39;s now to the point where Firefox is my last cho=
ice for browzers.<br>
I try the page first in elinks. =A0If that doesn&#39;t work, I push the lin=
k to my Nokia E71.<br>
If it can&#39;t handle the page, and I really need to read it, I&#39;ll use=
 Firefox.<br>
I wish Firevox was still being maintained, since it would probably provide =
better access than Firefox with Orca.<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Kenny<br>
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 05:10:51PM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:<br>
&gt; For Ubuntu, it&#39;s best to use the Orca screen reader with Firefox t=
o<br>
&gt; see if your web page is accessible, since that&#39;s how most users do=
 it.<br>
&gt; =A0You can start it from the command line with &#39;orca&#39;. =A0Howe=
ver, there<br>
&gt; are some current bugs in Orca related to changes in Firefox 3.6, which=
&gt; are being worked on actively.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Bill<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Phill Whiteside &lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:phillw at phillw.net">phillw at phillw.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; Hi,<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; a couple of questions ..<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; 1) Is Fire Vox now un-supported (I cannot find anything for 3.6 a=
nd 3.7 is<br>
&gt; &gt; in release candidate testing) ?<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; 1a) If no longer supported, is there a Web Reader available that =
I can use<br>
&gt; &gt; to check to see if my understanding of the various &#39;standards=
&#39; actually<br>
&gt; &gt; works ?<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Phill.<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; --<br>
&gt; &gt; Ubuntu-accessibility mailing list<br>
&gt; &gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Ubuntu-accessibility at lists.ubuntu.com">Ubuntu-a=
ccessibility at lists.ubuntu.com</a><br>
u-accessibility</a><br>
&gt; &gt;<br>