Best way to change default user configurations?

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 16:14:29 GMT 2009

I've got a couple packages now on the Vinux/Ubuntu Karmic ppa on
launchpad.net.  They provide an updated pulseaudio driver for
speech-dispatcher, and some 32-bit binaries for voxin compatibility on
64-bit systems.  I'd like to make a couple virtual-packages, called
vinux-metacity and vinux-compiz, that would automatically set up
default keybindings, menu settings, and several other things that make
Ubuntu more like Vinux, which is more a much more user-friendly setup
for the blind and visually impaired than the default settings.

The easy way for me to do this is to create a package that installs a
ton of files in /etc/skel.  Alternatively, I could modify the various
packages involved so that their default settings are compatible with
Vinux.

What is the "right" way to do this, and what is the expediant way,
given that I don't have much time to work on this?

Thanks,
Bill