a question about the live cd

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 01:38:41 GMT 2009

I'd venture a guess that you still would want the accessibility
install in order to enable Orca during installation, and to enable it
by default when booting Ubuntu.  I would guess that pulseaudio will be
enabled in Lucid either way.

With a Vinux/Lucid install, speech would be enabled regardless, with
pulseaudio, but ideally you'd get options for whether or not to boot
into Gnome, or go with raw speakup in a command line interface.  In an
ideal world, Ubuntu would incorporate many of the accessibility
improvements found in Vinux when you select the accessibility install,
and Vinux/Ubuntu as a seperate ISO would go away (Vinux would still be
needed for other distros).  That would include critical accessibility
programs like speakup, the Vinux key bindings, Stormdragon's cool Orca
utils, emacspeak in the DVD version, etc.  Ideally, the background
would be black, fonts would be 18-ish points, and we'd even have an
audio-book creator app that talks to bookshare.org.

Sounds pretty pie-in-the-sky-ish to me, but is there any chance us
Vinux guys could get seriously involved with what happens in an Ubuntu
accessibility install?  I'm confident there'd be a lot of interest
from the blind/VI community, and there are a bunch of us who are big
geeks, with a personal stake in the game.

Bill