the sbl screen reader

Halim Sahin halim.sahin at freenet.de
Thu Aug 20 12:33:41 BST 2009

Hi,
On Do, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:02:56 +0200, Mgr. Janusz Chmiel wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> As i know, SBl (suseblinux screen reader) is included in some Opensuse
> repository, and Adriane Knoppix is also having this screen reader included
> and it's configuration files has been modified, so this screen reader is not
> communicating with external synthesizer or with supported braille device,
> but with Speechdispatcher directly. Thank's to MR Klaus Knopper and his

Your informations are not correct.
Sbl can use several hw synths like apollo2 infovox 700 (many other can
be added easyly).
the following software synthesizers are supported:
festival, ttsynth (viavoice), speech-dispatcher and mbrola (only
german).
Braille display's are supported as well.
I am interestedto know how did you get these infos?

speakup is an interesting project but it has the same limitation like
other screenreaders.
(try to use apps with softcursor like mc alsamixer ...).
Regards
halim