pulseaudio problems again

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Aug 18 20:47:07 BST 2009

Halim Sahin wrote:

> I can listen to anything and use my usb logitech headset for voip
> conferencing.
> Maybe your problems are configuration mistakes?

could be but I've never found anyone that can tell me how to fix it.  the last
time I tried, the usb device (iMic, buddy, and vxi b200) overrode the primary
sound device.  last round with the vxi, someone from the alsa group admitted
that the driver for the b200 was inadequate.

> It will be interesting how pulseaudio can give more stability if the
> layer (alsa) is broken.
> With broken alsa drivers you can't get more stability.
> for usb devices?

yup.  that is why folks should pick one interface and *make it work*

> BTW. I am using alsa about 10 years and had no problem with it.
> I am using voip with my usb logitech head set (twinkle) without
> problems.

great but audio quality probably isn't up to speech recognition standards.  we
can be quite the pain in the butt about that. :-)