Getting Login Prompt to Speak

Peter Torpey ptorpey at rochester.rr.com
Mon Aug 10 04:42:02 BST 2009

Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 and Orca.

Currently when I boot the computer, braille shows "screen not in text mode"
and there is no speech prompt to tell me when to log in.

Is there any way of making Ubuntu speak the login prompt or having Orca
start immediately after boot?

I know that the "bongo" souond should let me know when it's okay to login
in.  However, I have a problem with this.  I am using multiple USB audio
devices on my PC.  I have Orca speaking out of sound car A, but the bongos
sound comes out of sound card B (which I don't usually have turned on).  Is
there some way of forcing the bongo sound to come out of sound card A?

Thanks.

--Pete