I Need some info on harddrives

mike kb8aey at verizon.net
Sat Sep 27 19:23:41 BST 2008

Hi, I know this is a little off topic, but maybe someone out there can give me some ideas.    Ubuntu and Orca helped me out again today, but I have never ran into this before.
A friend had a new dell computer with windows vista. He wants to use windows xp instead. The problem I ran into was that when the windows xp disk boots, it says it can't find a hard drive in the computer. The drive is a 320 gb drive.
So, I booted intrepid, and it finds the drive with no problems. Using Orca and cfdisk I had no problems removing the partitions. But windows xp still says it can't find a hard drive.
Maybe I can convince him to use ubuntu instead. But has anyone else ever ran into this before? I even tried partitioning the drive using ubuntu in to small partitions, because I have heard there is a limit on the size drive windows xp will see. But that didn't work either. This brings up another thing. Is there a limit on the size hard drive ubuntu can see?
Mike.