New developer

David Ryder davaweb at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 28 01:10:44 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 20:09 -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Tom Lloyd wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >

> > Just wanted to say Hi and to get myself known. I have been using Ubuntu for=
> > three or so years. I am a 26 year old developer from the UK trained in Emb=
> > edded / Realtime systems. As a side project I am intergrating SAPI into Ubu=
> > ntu to gives access to the MS speech engines using speech dispatcher.
> >
> > I use compiz for zoon, so i could be intrested in working to improve speech=
> > and magnification under ubuntu, suggestions for projects welcome.=20
> >
> > Look forward to joining in.
>
> it would be nice if you could help out on the other side of the house (speech
> recognition) too.  Naturally speaking 10 works reasonably well under wine and we
> need some people with working hands to help out with the software bridging from
> the wine environment to the Linux environment.

Yes - I second that. But one comment if I may, please ... DNS has had a
lot of money put into it and it works very well in MS. Personally, I
accept, and am sure others do too, that good software may not be gnu or
free and so this is one item I wish I could buy for ubuntu (linux).
Please excuse me saying this as I know many hate 'unnecessary' emails.
But I have read hundreds of posts and constantly hear the mantra 'it
must be free' which I think is a bit narrow minded with some software
development.

Just my two bobs worth.

David