New developer

Bruce Couper bruce.couper at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 18:04:39 GMT 2008

Hi Francesco, All

A few comments from a quite disabled speech-recognition user and light
user of Ubuntu through VNC (to learn and help with wife's and friends'
computers):

Speech recognition is the barrier for some of us adopting GNU/Linux,
Ubuntu.  Echoing an earlier post, as much as I support open source I
would be prepared to pay for the commercial product
(NaturallySpeaking) if it were ported.  Arguments that doing so would
be prohibitively expensive seem refuted by the recent porting of the
basic speech engine to Macs.  The owners of NaturallySpeaking do not
seem inclined to listen to users but if someone has any suggestion for
having someone at Canonical making contact...

Otherwise, there would be a great deal of work, as I understand it,
needed to make what now exists (Sphinx) usable.

Using Wine might provide dictation but no command and control.

Dasher is actually very good and, in my limited experience, does a
pretty good job of word prediction and learning.  However, as you
alluded to, the last build I looked at under Ubuntu no longer
supported outputting text to an active window rather than just the
Dasher text area, making it far less useful than it should be.  Older
versions (at least under Windows) did have the option of outputting
text to another active window and, if I recall, there has been some
recent change involving development of the application.  I think it is
a very promising application for some users and it supports many input
methods (switches, eye tracking etc.).

I'm 55, not a coder and limited now to speech-recognition.  I offer my
support, occasional humble notes and, if I may, whatever have one can
provide in documentation in the future.

Cheers