New developer

Steve Lee steve at fullmeasure.co.uk
Sat Nov 1 15:55:40 GMT 2008

Hi Tom, I'm also in the UK and started on in embedded/realtime (many moons ago).

Your work sounds great. I'm wondering if you are thinking of wrapping
SD as a SAPI voice or taking the simpler path of providing a facade
from SD for the SAPI application inteface? To be honest the later
would be great, and for me say() plus some of the basic XML markup
would keep me happy for ages (plus a user interface or api for voice
settings).

To be honest the main advantage I can see for implementing the speech
engine interfaces would be to help grow the non existance selection of
good free SAPI voices. But I guess a lot more work would be needed to
create voices that are cross platform.

I also sencond Francesco and Willie for the alternative input vote.
FWIIW I have created a couple of projects that might provide ideas in
this space. The earlier version of Jambu (jambu.fullmeasure.co.uk) is
a OSK type user interface using SVG and a GTK custom widget. To be
honest it is really a very raw proof of concept. More recently Maavis
(http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/maavis) uses the Mozilla platform
to provide very simple OSK UI, primarily for touch (pointer) access,
but switch is planned.

--
Steve Lee
Open Source Assistive Technology Software and Accessibility