working linux distribution

Hammer Attila hammera at pickup.hu
Tue Jun 3 06:58:36 BST 2008

Dear List!

Justin, I have same problem my hardy, I solved this problem these steps:
My sound card is a Creative Audigy2 sound card.
1. Turn off softvare mixing function with sound preferences:
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/sound/enable_esd false
2. Setting up musicaudiosink with alsasink:
gconftool-2 -s -t string
/desktop/gnome/system/gstreamer/0.10/musicaudiosink alsasink
3. Following this instruction with Orca homepage:
http://live.gnome.org/Orca/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-7768cfa02a7b58992f0755eecd185a0a83389f5a
Quoted section:
"Hotly debated issue, It is not Orca's fault that it is set up like
this, so the fix should be done elsewhere, but if you don't care about
the politics and
simply want it to work then:

sudo apt-get install alsa-oss

now change directory:

cd /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/

now edit using your favorite editor: If you are using Espeak then modify:

GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Espeak.server

and if you are using Festival:

GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Festival.server

replace "festival" for "espeak" if you wish to modify the festival
synthesizer. On the third line of the file you will see (remember to use
dashes instead
of underscores):

                 type="exe" location="/usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver"

replace this with:

                 type="exe" location="/usr/bin/aoss
/usr/bin/espeak-synthesis-driver"

Note that if the alsa-oss package is not installed then you will have a
broken system and wont have any speech output, so make sure it is
installed.

save the file, and restart Orca, now you can use mplayer and suchlike to
output sound alongside Orca."

After this modifications, my Orca speech for example with eight hour
work, not lose speech.

Hope this helps,

Attila