two desktops open on one screen to reduce management of windows

Rick Berger rberger at rogers.com
Mon Feb 11 19:29:53 GMT 2008

Hi, I would like to try the opposite of what people are doing with
multiple screen. That is to have two desktops side by side on one
screen. Why, well I bought a nice 1920 x 1200 24 inch Samsung SyncMaster
thinking all that real estate would be great. And it is, but it means
more moving and re-sizing of windows, which mean more use of the mouse,
an activity which is time consuming no matter how you do it when you
have hand dexterity issues. So I thought that if I can have two desktops
open at the same time on one screen this would reduce a lot of window
management work by just opening applications in either of the two
different desktops. Has anyone seen this done and can you share any
references on how to do it?

Rick Berger