Sudo atspy problem

Hammer Attila hammera at pickup.hu
Sat Feb 9 18:49:05 GMT 2008

Dear List!

I am a hungarian blind computer programmer man.
I am using linux since 2000 year ago and using Orca synce 2007 ago.
I am using Ubuntu 7.10 with Orca screen reader.

I have got some problems:
1. If i starting with normal user e.g. with gdmsetup application and
enter my password, Orca is can not speak with gdmsetup application and
another applications with running sudo/gksu mode.
If i logged in root (I enabled with gdm.conf), this problem is not
present because  root user running e.g. gdmsetup application.
I know this is a Sudo admin atspy problem (read the Ubuntu Accessibility
viki).
Have any fix this problem or bug?
I am looking in Hardy Heron alpha 4 release, but this problem is still
present this version.

2. Another problem: When I write root username and my root password,
this message writing my display:
"this session run as a privileged user..."
Why? When I press alt+c key (hungarian system is alt+f key), logging the
system and possible using the desktop.
Possible turn off this message?
With my another Debian Lenny distro, this message is present "This
session run as a privileged user..." But the stable version is not present.

3. I am making a modified Ubuntu 7.10 desktop cd. Modifiing some
settings my home using and Easyest installation with my purpose because
the sudo admin atspy problem is present the installation, and ubiquity
can not speak with normal ubuntu user:
1. The automatic logging with ubuntu user is turned off.
2. I am enabled root login with gdm (created ubuntu password for root).
3. The accessibility setting is enabled by default with root user
(gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility true).
If i booting this modified Ubuntu install cd and logging with root and
ubuntu password, starting Orca screen reader and setup, simple
installing Ubuntu system with no problem.
I know this is a workaround, but an usualy accessible ubuntu install is:
1. With ubuntu cd boot, pressing f5 key, pressing free down arrow and
two enter key.
2. If the sound heard, start orca screen reader and setup if need.
3. start gnome-terminal with alt+f2 key.
4. type sudo su and press enter key.
5. Press ins+q key and quit with orca.
6. start orca this command: orca --no-setup --disable main-window &
Now, orca can not speak key echos, etc.
7. type ubiquity and press enter key and install this system.

I know the ubiquity application can not speak with orca because running
with sudo/gksu mode and orca running another user process. Have fixing
problem in future?
Hardy installation cd is present this problem.

4. This conf key is enabled by default my machine:
/apps/gksu/disable-grab. It is true and not work.

If I helping testing patches, etc, helping test etc.
Orca hungarian translation i maintain, the percent translation is 82% now.

I vould like with hungarian average blind users installing ubuntu
distros simple and using without problems, e.g. sudo admin atspy problem.

Attila hammer