why using graphics mode for a11y?

Andre Nuno Soares ans at meo.pt
Mon Dec 29 01:00:49 GMT 2008

Hi jonathon,
On Sun, 2008-12-28 at 21:11 +0000, jonathon wrote:
> The practical reality is that a11y requirements can be mutually
> exclusive. What works for one set of a11y issues, need not, and often
> actively hinders, a different set of a11y issues.

I regularly use a long distance train that has an entrance and bathroom
accessible for wheel chairs, but where the seats are only numbered in
ink )no braille).

On the other hand, all ATM machines in Portugal have a spoken menu for
VI people, but they are only now thinking of adding an interface using
pictures (a deaf from birth has a great dificulty learning to read).

These aren't cases of "mutually exclusive", but rather of not thinking
broadly.

How expensive would it be to have special trains only for VI people?

André
PS: I cross-posted to gnome-accessibility because I think the topic is
broader than one Linux distro.