accessing the desktop?

Guy Schlosser guyster at bex.net
Sun Dec 14 12:36:38 GMT 2008

On 12/14/2008 01:40 AM, Michell Sudyka wrote:
> Hi there,
> I know that this may seem like a very basic "how do I" question, but I
> got my ubuntu 8.04 lts burned to cd tonight and tried it out.
> Surprise, it worked like a charm. Only, the only app I can make run is
> firefox. How do I get out of the orca window and access other programs
> other than from the command terminal?
> Thanks!
Hi Michell, by default, there are no items on the desktop with a fresh
Ubuntu install.  You can press alt+f1, and that will pull down a menu
where you can access all the other apps.  From there, if you want to
place items on the desktop, you can.  For example, I have Mozilla
Thunderbird, Pidgin, Fire fox, and my video game console emulators as
shortcuts on my desktop.  If you have any further questions, don't
hesitate to ask.

Later,

Guy