Speech-dispatcher as a service?

Isaac Porat isaac at porat.me.uk
Thu Dec 4 07:07:22 GMT 2008

Hello Luke

I am fairly new to Ubuntu and Orca - I use 8.10 it runs well thank you.
I found that Orca runs much better in Ubuntu using speech-dispatcher rather
than Gnome-Speech; it is more stable and response is better.

Unfortunately    in my opinion the setting of SD is cumbersome for a typical

 I have another angle to this as I would like possibly to port a talking
application to Ubuntu and speech-dispatcher is the way to go offering speech
server capabilities being able to cope with multiple inputs.

With your reference to Tony Sales and a special distro for the blind, do you
have plans or could you possibly consider offering speech-dispatcher as a
service 'out of the box'?  This will be great.