Screen Reader

Doug Lawlor doug at douglawlor.com
Thu Aug 7 20:27:48 BST 2008

Hi Carl:

To answer this question on the state of readyness regarding Orca, the
screen reader built into Ubuntu, we must ask the question: What does
this person want to use the screen reader for?

I use it here every day for reading my mail using Thunderbird 3.0,
browse the web with firefox, doing various things with gnome-terminal,
listening to music with the totum movie player, text editing with gedit,
word processing with open office, using various administration tools
such as synaptic package manager, network-manager, gdmsetup, plus others.

Regarding reading mail with Thunderbird: it will be necessary for this
person to download the latest nightly build from
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-trunk/. This
is a tar ball which the user must extract into a directory, I use my
home directory, and then he will execute the thunderbird shell script
inside the thunderbird directory which will be created by decompressing
the thunderbird tar ball. The reason that the user must perform this
step is because Thunderbird 2.0, which is shipped with ubuntu, does not
contain the necessary accessibility requirements for Orca to work with
it. If this user is more used to using Microsoft outlook for email he
can use Evolution, which is reported to work well with Orca. I don't use
this email client myself so can't comment on it directly.

	I don't know if the above comments have been helpful but feel free to
write back to the list with more questions.

Doug