A question about ADDING MEMORY

Kristian Lyngstøl kristian at bohemians.org
Mon Sep 10 20:18:42 BST 2007

On 9/10/07, mike coulombe <kb8aey at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi, I heard that windows vista has a feature where you can use a jumpdrive as ram. Does anyone know if this is possible to do in ubuntu. That would sure be a easy way to add more memory.

Though I don't know the specifics of vista here, but this wouldn't
count as ram, but as  swap, which is easily accomplished by mkswap and
swapon commands (anyone with knowledge of gui tools to do the same,
feel free to step in) for any given storage device. I'm sure you can
have a remote swap drive if you really hate yourself that much too.

Even though a flash drive might be faster than a normal hard disk,
it's not even close to the speed you get from ram, so this isn't
really some quick way to add more RAM. Sorry.

- Kristian