Accessability in Edubuntu

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 2 10:47:02 BST 2007

hi,
Am Montag, den 01.10.2007, 23:12 +0100 schrieb Ian Pascoe:
> Can anyone confirm whether Edubuntu, which I believe ships with the Gnome
> desktop, has Orca and associated components pre-packaged within the Live CD,
> or if it has to be downloaded afterwards?
i just tested it on a gutsy client and apprently it has the sound device
hardcoded ... in gutsy we have three possibilities to transfer sound to
the client, the top layer is a virtual alsa device (which works fine for
all other apps, so i'd somewhat had expected it to work, but apparently
i'm wrong) ... there is also a pulseaudio tunnel to the client (in fact
thats the layer the alsa device sits on top of vial libasound2-plugins)
which you can use directly as well indeed. and as third we have an
esound emulation of pulseaudio running on the thin client and teh
ESPEAKER variable set in teh users session to guarantee backwards
compatibility.

apparently the portaudio library orca uses in the backend isnt capable
of making use of the virtual alsa device here and the only other
fallback this library offers seems to be oss.

ciao
	oli