[wishlist] brltty

Y P yellow.penguin at edpnet.be
Sat Nov 24 09:18:35 GMT 2007

Hi all,
Hi developers and/or maintainers/coworkers,

After having commented the right (3) lines in /etc/init.d/brltty
as indicated at http://live.gnome.org/Orca/Braille
my Ubntu Gutsy Gibbon *finally* booted-up without overriding my personalized
/etc/brltty.conf

But now I have three proposals for the Ubuntu-Accessibility team/brltty
maintainer(s):

1* first, make us a nice Christmas surprise: do debug it and publish a new
package with the hal/brltty bug fixed !

2* btw, publish a recent version since 3.7.2 seems to be quite old enough...

3* last but not least, I presume autodetection is something important,
but why not making the default text-table then dependent of the
/etc/default/locale ?
OK there are more locales and lang support under Linux than Braille tables,
but that's absolutely not a problem since countries_linguistic parts
like de_de or nl_nl or nl_be probably historically prefer a certain braille
table as default, here "de",
just like for example fr_fr or fr_mc or fr_be or fr_ca prefer the "fr" table.
Isn't this an idea ?

Finally you must know that a non-US blind user like me reads
"yp|ubuntu5>6" instead of "yp at ubuntu:~$" when brltty's us table is
"default": it's not a problem for five minutes but unusable for a long
working day...
And we shouldn't talk then about numbers...

I know this is a comlicated problem, but this is a suggestion + an urgent
wishlist: feel free to discuss about it.

GrtnX
 Y P