Getting started with Ubuntu, Orca and Linux

ari aridamoulakis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 16:02:51 GMT 2007

Hi all,
I am totally blind, so the questions in this post, I'm hoping to be able to
do everything myself, like getting everything up and running. A while ago, I
was interested in getting started with Ubuntu, but Orca was still not really
usable. My situation is that, first, I am not a computer pro, I use my
computer for everyday tasks, I do like messing around with it, but I'm more
an average sort of person, I don't, for example, have hardly any experience
of doing stuff like using command lines, modifying configuration files, etc,
I've just been brought up on Windows. I'd like to use Orca with a laptop, is
it now easily possible? How usable is Orca now with Openoffice, Firefox, and
email? Can I use Orca comfortably for doing most everyday things? By using
Orca and Linux, I'll later get used to the whole text-based environment. The
most important questions, first, I'd like to try the live CD, where do I get
the latest version, plus a getting started guide? Also, if I order the
normal Ubuntu CD's, will Orca be on there and easy to set up? Would you
recommend that I still wait a bit more before trying it out, or is it
generally much better now?
Thanks
Ari