Request for six key entry keyboard layout

Mark Williamson mark.w at zebrafish.co.nz
Sun May 27 12:41:14 BST 2007

Hi

Further to my post in the ubuntuforums I would like to request that the
Accessibility Team consider making a six key entry keyboard map, or in some
other way make six key entry possible.

I am in the process of seting up some Ubuntu powered computers for a school
for visually impaired students in Tanzania, East Africa. The students are
all taught to type using manual braille machines but these typing skills are
not easily transferred to a standard 101 key keyboard.

In the Windows world there are several freeware or commerical applications
that allow six-key entry on a standard keyboard (perky duck is an example):
http://www.brl.org/perkyduck.html

Perky Duck works in Ubuntu using wine but its input is not spoken by orca
and so our blind students cannot use it.

At the moment I the only way I can enable six-key typing for these students
is to buy a special keyboard at a high cost (more expensive than the
computer itself).

If there was a keyboard layout for six key entry or some other easy way to
enable six-key entry it would be just wonderful and would save a cash
strapped school a lot of money. Clearly it would be useful for any visually
impaired person who knows how to type on a six-key braille machine.

If there is an easy way to enable six-key entry which is spoken by Orca that
I have not been able to find please let me know.

Thanks

Mark Williamson