Question about speech-dispatcher inclusion

Lukas Loehrer listaddr1 at gmx.net
Mon May 21 18:33:54 BST 2007

Unlike the original poster, I find the gnome-speech driver for espeak
to work ok, but it probably very much depends on the machine, in
particular on the sound card. That said, I believe that
speech-dispatcher should seriously be considered for inclusion, be it
only for the fact that it will give us Alsa audio playback for all
supported synths. I see Alsa support as a very strong requirement
nowadays. It would be very nice to solve this problem in one place
only instead of in every synth. When going with speech-dispatcher, it
would be desirable to replace the current generic driver for espeak
with one that uses espeak natively.

The alternative is to try to improve Alsa support in portaudio in order to
fix the sound problems some people experience with the gnome-speech
driver for espeak.

Best regards, Lukas