speakup refusing to speak in Feisty

Michael Weaver weavermicha at googlemail.com
Wed May 9 02:45:10 BST 2007

I managed to get Speakup working in Feisty when I was at my Linux
group but I can't seem to get it to work now and I am wondering if it
is because I haven't exited Speakup properly when I changed from a
text console to ex.
The first and only time I got it working I issued spd-say hello from
the text console and it said "hello", I typed sudo modprobe
speakup_sftsyn and it worked but when I do the latter command now I
get no speech at all and I am not sure if it is even trying to load so
I don't know if I have corrupted something and whether Speakup shut
down properly and cleared itself from memory which is why I might be
having this problem running it in Feisty now.