Please provide some updated details.

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Thu Mar 1 12:31:28 GMT 2007

Hi Krishnakant:

Sorry to hear about your frustrations with this.  Please join and
participate in the orca discussion list at
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/orca-list -- it's a nice
community and we all work together in a friendly way to try to resolve
problems. Asking questions early and often can help reduce frustration
on your side, and can also give us time to address and resolve problems
early in the release cycle.

With respect to your specific concerns, accessibility been unstable with
recent GNOME releases.  We've been working very hard with the
accessibility infrastructure and application developers to try to get
these resolved for GNOME 2.18.    We hope the situation has been
improved with this week's GNOME 2.17.92 release, but it might need one
more release of the AT-SPI support (v1.17.2) which may not have made it
into the GNOME 2.17.92 release.

OpenOffice access is doing well, and we keep making incremental
improvements to it.  Please let us know which version of OpenOffice you
are using - it might not be the latest one which contains accessibility
enhancements from the OpenOffice team.

Firefox will continue to remain a bit of a struggle until the rewrite of
the Firefox 3.0's AT-SPI infrastructure is complete.  Orca is doing OK
with Firefox 3.0 nightly builds at this time, however, but it's not what
I would call "compelling access."  A user can navigate around many web
pages, but we (the Firefox and Orca teams) still have a lot of work to do.

I look forward to answering your specific questions and concerns on the
Orca list.

Thanks!

Will
Orca Project Lead

PS - My apologies if this e-mail is formatted poorly.  I'm working with
a custom build of Thunderbird from Mozilla CVS and it seems to have some
character extents calculation issues.