ESpeak and other sound with Ubuntu 7.04

David Picón Álvarez david at miradoiro.com
Sat Jul 28 17:35:10 BST 2007

Hi,

I've built ESpeak .28 with portaudio 19. I've installed the 2 libs
necessary, and then copied portaudio19.h to portaudio.h. Then i copied
libespeak.so.1.1.28 to /usr/lib and moved the symlink for libespeak.so.1 to
it. Then I overwrote /usr/bin/espeak. Then I moved the espeak-data to
/usr/share. This is all working, or so it seems. ESpeak built and runs
successfully through Orca.

However, whenever I try to launch an application that wants to make sound,
ESpeak stops speaking until that application closes. An example is aplay.

I seem to have alsa well-configured, since if I do
aplay *.wav&
aplay *.wav&
aplay *.wav&
aplay *.wav&
I can hear the files being played simultaneously on top of each other.

So, any clues?

--David.