Advice for newcomer please? (thanks)

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Jul 25 07:01:27 BST 2007

alan c wrote:
> I do not usually use any special accessibility features, and have a
> few hours to familiarise with what is offered in Kubuntu.
[...]

Many thanks to Ian and Carlos  for the replies!
I usually use kubuntu so it would have taken me quite a time to
realise that the best accessibility facilities were in Gnome.

It did not take me long to try out some simple things because I
already have ubuntu-desktop as one of the session options.
I do not think the screen magnifier worked for me on my desktop
machine, but it works well on the laptop, which is great for a good
demonstration this morning. If things get taken up today I will need
to find out a bit more about what the screen magnifier needs.

I have been using K/Ubuntu for a couple of years now, and I know I
should not be surprised at how good things can get, but I am surprised
at the quality of the accessibility things!

Well done everyone and a big thank you.

Alan

for the record, Ian said:
========================
The majority of the Accessability stuff you will find under the standard
Ubuntu desktop ie the GNOME desktop.

Within that you have

* sticky keys
* on screen keyboards for use with head pointers etc
* screen readers
* braille support for braille dot matrix writers
* screen magnification

There is currently NO support at all for Speech to Text like
DragonSpeak in
MS.

Unfortunately, the support for all of these depends on the original
projects
having used an appropriate library that interfaces with the Assistive
Technologies interfaces.  At present this is really limited to Open
Office,
Evolution and GAME.

Firefox should be accessable when FF 3 is launched which hopefully will be
packaged into Gutsy.