Accessibility of gnome-controlcenter?

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 15 11:02:55 GMT 2007

Calum Benson wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 16:03 -0500, Al Puzzuoli wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've noticed that by default in Feisty, the administration menu seems to be
>> gone, and all of the functions it contained can now be accessed via the
>> gnome-control-center.
>>

> FWIW, this is a proposal for GNOME 2.18 that may or may not be adopted
> (although it looks like it will be).  I've never been too keen on it,
> but assuming it gets in, I'm hopeful that it will still be possible to
> switch back to the more efficient, old-style menu access too.

Hm, I've seen this argumentation in other places too (from ubuntu forum
users who prefer the old menu system). I think it's a bad idea for two
reasons:

* We cannot keep legacy approaches around forever. It will clutter the
interface with options and clutter the code. If gnome decides on this
option we should work to improve it (where needed) and not try to bring
back the old IMHO.
* We should never rely on the legacy solution to provide us with the
accessibility features. It will always be less discoverable and may
suddenly disappear.

Making the new control centre accessible should not be that hard. Who
can we contact about it?

Henrik