Accessibility of gnome-controlcenter?

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Sun Jan 14 21:16:20 GMT 2007

Al Puzzuoli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed that by default in Feisty, the administration menu seems to be
> gone, and all of the functions it contained can now be accessed via the
> gnome-control-center.  My concern is that unless I'm missing something,
> there doesn't seem to be a way to navigate the control-center UI efficiently
> via the keyboard.  Granted, it is possible to tab to, and then press enter
> on  each function's corresponding button; However, I don't see any way of
> quickly jumping to a desired function.  As an example, under administration,
> if I wanted to get to the sound  preferences, I could do so relatively
> quickly by pressing S a couple of times.  Are there plans to implement first
> letter navigation into the control-center's UI?  If this isn't going to
> happen any time soon, is there an option somewhere to easily restore the
> administration menu?

The new control centre resembles the control panel in Windows, which
does respond to first-letter-pressing as you describe. I think we should
pursue that option. Only trouble is that the items are sorted by
category first, then alphabetically (is that a problem? the selection
could skip through categories).

Henrik