Accessibility with System Admin Tools

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 2 20:48:43 GMT 2007

Hi All

I seem to remember from a posting back during last summer that it was
proposed that work should be done on Ubuntu's Admin tools to increase their
accessibility - has this started or been done?

I have just used the Update Manager, and the verbal responses back , if I
were just relying on these, are poor - I have some partial sight left so
could at least work out what was happening on the screen with a lot of
concentration.  The problems encountered were:

1.  Up to the Check button screen, the verbal responses were available and
usable.  Once this button had been clicked, the verbal responses were
negligible.  When the screen pane changed there was sometimes a verbal
response but cut off before it was intelligible.  Also tabbing around the
screen produced no responses although I am fairly sure that the focus
changed.

2.  During the update I could not get Orca to talk to me at all - admittedly
this was only by trying launching the Gnome main menus - Alt + f1 - which
although displayed, did not produce any verbal commentary.

3.  Update manager did not respond at all after the update was completed

4.  Once focus returned back to the main desktop Orca appeared to be working
fine again.

Obviously I cannot test this again until there are further updates
available.

The system I have is Ubuntu 6.10 last updated on 22/12/06 prior to today -
with almost the same results as described above.  I think that it may have
been more responsive at that time but that was a little while ago!

I am predominately a MS user, and dabble with Ubuntu when I get chance, so I
don't know my way around Ubuntu quite as good as I should, but I am learning
fast!  Any help and / or guidance is appreciated.

Ian