eSpeak and Edgy

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 8 18:17:02 GMT 2007

Hi

With all the positive comments about eSpeak that have recently been made I
would like to give it a try.

However, as a predominately Windows user I don't really have the confidence
to do all the tweaking that seems to be necessary which is why I was happy
to see Henrick's announcement that eSpeak had made it into the packages.

My question is is this package only usable in the development  Ubuntu or can
I bring it into Edgy - that is to say Ubuntu 6.10 and 6.06 LTS?  And how?

Secondly, I wonder if the volume of the speech output on eSpeak is louder
than that for festival?  the Ubuntu installation has all it's volume
settings at max, but even so the output is  still only about half of what
the equivilant on M$ produces.  Is there anything I can do to pump up the
volume without twiddling the speakers, which to get to the same level as the
M$ output becomes distorted.

Cheers

Ian