[Fwd: Debugging accessible GDM in Feisty -- please help]

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 5 12:36:43 GMT 2007

Brian Cameron wrote:

> Henrick:
>
>> We wrote a spec for feisty to add accessibility functionality to the
>> login manager, GDM.
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Specs/AccessGDM
>>
>> This does not look like it will happen as no work has been done in
>> Ubuntu or upstream on making the themed greeter (which everyone uses
>> by default) accessible. The folks at SUN have made the old-style one
>> work with Orca on Solaris.
>
> Some a11y functionality works with gdmgreeter.  You would probably find
> that Orca and GOK work okay with gdmgreeter, but there are bugs to
> be fixed.   gdmlogin works better and supports changing the theme
> to HighContrast/LowContrast, etc.
>
>> For me at least, even that still just breaks on Ubuntu Feisty. Has
>> anyone tried getting this to work in Ubuntu? The Orca changelog for
>> 2.17.4 suggests adding
>>
>> <Control>o  1 1000 10000  /bin/sh -c "GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
>> ctrun -l child -i none orca -n
>> -d main-window"
>>
>> to /etc/X11/gdm/modules/AccessKeyMouseEvents
>
> A few things you should be aware of:
>
> 1) You should *not* need to set GTK_MODULES in the command line.  Should
>    be okay to just call "orca -n -d main-window".  Unless this is some
>    weird Orca issue.
>
> 2) You should not include the "ctrun -l child -i none" on Ubunutu.  This
>    is Solaris specific stuff to make the AT programs work with SVC (more
>    specifically to ensure GDM doesn't restart if the AT programs crash).
>
> 3) You may not need to use the /bin/sh -c "...".   Might be okay to have
>    the line look like this:
>
>    <Control>o  1 1000 10000 ocra -n -d main-window

Thanks Brian for the detailed directions.

OK, I already had something quite similar to this. I select the Plain
greeter, tick accessible login and restart (log out). GDM fails to come
up, only showing the spinner and running the CPU full out, it seems.

I found a log file though! /var/log/gdm/:0.log (attached) seems to show
a conflict with the wacom tablet, which is a specific ubuntu xorg config
(and the one causing GOK problems to crash for a long time)

And sure enough ... commenting out all the wacom stuff in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf brings GDM back to life with the old style greeter. I
guess the wacom settings are needed to to support tablet PCs, so should
probably be fixed though.

Even the themed greeter runs now and Ctrl+o does indeed bring up Orca
(in magnifier mode). Right, time to test the individual options in more
detail ...

Henrik