have CD now what?

aerospace1028 at hotmail.com aerospace1028 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 28 18:20:23 GMT 2007

Greetings Ari,

I think I ran into a simullar problem.  I posted a thread about the live cd.  You should be able to find it in the archieve, but the basic thing is that for some reason or other, orca won't start automatically from the live cd and it needs to be started manually.

After you're all loaded in, press ALT+F2 to bring up the run dialog.
Type gnome-terminal This will launch the command line.
type orca -t  This will start orca in the terminal with the text setup option.  Orca should start reading a list of options.  Follow the instructions to set-up accessibility.  When you're done close the terminal (orca will still have control and you won't have a prompt so you'll have to press ALT+F4, or ALT+SPACEBAR then up arrow once and press enter.).
Now you can start orca by pressing ALT+F2 and typing orca.

Alternatively you can start orca from the run dialog when ubuntu loads n; this will start orca and launch the preferences dialog, if you make any changes I found I had to log out for them to take effect (logging out with the live cd just re-logs you back in).

Hopefully that should do the trick.

From: aridamoulakis at gmail.comTo: aerospace1028 at hotmail.comSubject: Re: have CD now what?Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:18:51 +0200

Hi everyone,
Sorry for not getting back sooner, have had internet connection problems. My question is, is the CD I'm trying to use got Orca, because, I first wanted to see Orca as a live CD, so, on 3 different computers, I booted, pressed f5, then pressed 4 for Orca (sighted help told me that it's 4), then enter twice. Ubuntu CD then spins, plays the sound card test, so there's nothing wrong with the card, and then the desktop loads, but Orca doesn't start speaking! I've tried it on three different computers, but no speech, what could be wrong? I wait for ages, but nothing. The CD I have is Gutsy, I think it's 7.1. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Ari