installing ubuntu 7.4 with speech

Christian christian08 at runbox.com
Fri Apr 27 22:31:37 BST 2007

Hi Keith,
I have just installed Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty myself and here is what you have to do.
Boot the CD and press F5 and then 3 and enter twice to boot with Orca.
When you get speech do the following
1. Press Alt+F2 to get into the Run Application dialog
2. Type "gnome-terminal" and press Enter.
3. In the resulting Terminal window, type "sudo su" and press Enter. You should hear
"root at ubuntu colon slash home slash ubuntu pound".
4. Press Insert Q to quit Orca. At this point, the Orca quit confirmation dialog will
appear. You need to tab to the "Yes" button and press Space. At this point, you will
have no speech, but focus is still in the terminal window.
Type "orca --no-setup --disable main-window&" and press Enter. This will cause speech
to resume, but Orca will now be running as root (the equivalent of Administrator
in Windows).
6. Type "ubiquity" and press Enter.
These instructions can be found with more info at:
http://live.gnome.org/Orca/UbuntuFeisty
And yes when the installation is finished and you have logged in you will get speech.
Hope it helps!
All the best,
Christian