installing ubuntu 7.4 with speech

lists at barrettpianos.co.uk lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Fri Apr 27 19:37:13 BST 2007

Hi All

Just joined this list in the hope of some help.

I have the 7.4 ubuntu but am loosing speech when I try to install.

The only instructions I can find relate to previous versions so perhaps this is
where I am going wrong.
I boot the system and select f5 3 and a couple of returns.  I eventually get
speech and I land in the orca preferences although the instructions tell me I
will need to use alt tabb to get there.

Not sure how I am meant to leave the preferences as the instructions
mention a "close button".  I am not finding one and tabbing gives me an ok
or preferences button.  Hitting enter on ok does not seem to have any
affect.

At this point, continuing with the instructions, I get as far as typing sudo su
and quitting and restarting orca.  When I type ubiquity I loose speech
totally.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what may be happening or
any instructions that relate to this version?

Also, as I have spent several days at this, if I get some assistance and get
ubuntu installed, can I reinstate speech after the install and get it to start
with speech enabelled?

Also, if any one has got this to work, are these speech losses just
happening around the install or is stability an issue when performing tasks
e.t.c.

Sorry for the questions but am new at this.

Many thanks

Keith Barrett