Orca and Installing--again

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Fri Apr 27 16:36:55 BST 2007

Hi y'all,

Yep, again...LOL

Browsing the archives, it looks like my install's gone about the same as Debee's, with the following differences, fairly minor in nature.

First, you should know--the computer is really old and
slow. Celeron/800, 512MB RAM (and video adapter that uses shared
memory, set to however little I could get away with, looks like
8MB). So here's what happens:

Computer boots, but the hard drive doesn't really stop. Still, after a
couple seconds, pressing F5, then 3, then enter twice, gets the
machine to boot. This takes a really, really long time, but as I said,
it's a really slow machine. No music and no orca, but gnome comes
up. To get orca, pressing alt-f2 and typing orca seems to do the
trick.

Orca actually seems to do what it's supposed to, and it's nice not to
have to use festival. In gnome-terminal, which also comes up, stopping
orca after typing sudo so is all good. Restarting orca gets me a
"Welcome to orca", followed by silence, and keys don't respond. Typing
ubiquity and waiting doesn't seem to do a whole bunch either. I don't
even get the reading of Debee's apparent log output.

Any suggestions what to do to nail this down a bit better?