eSpeak Problem: PaHost_OpenStream: could not open /dev/dsp for O_WRONLY

Veli-Pekka Tätilä vtatila at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sat Sep 30 18:41:54 BST 2006

Jonathan Duddington wrote:
<snip>
>> like play or aplay to play the sound. So if either of these work for
>> you and eSpeak is able to produce audio data (but not play them), you
>> should be fine.
> To test this, you can do:
>  speak -w test.wav "this is a test"
>  play test.wav
Just did. It generates a wave file and I can play it in Gnome just fine. It
doesn't find a program named play, however. Which reminds me, how do I tell
whether speech-dispatcher is installed in the first place? The docs state
that its config file should be in etc/speech-dispatcher/something  or
usr/local/etc/speech-dispatcher/something but neither folder exists. nor am
I able to find the speech dispatcher config filee mentioned in the docs with
the locate command. Ah and I just recently found out that dev DSP doesn't
exist either, having tried piping stuff to it.

All this makes me wonder whether speech Dispatcher is installed in the first
place. The fact that Gnopernicus tries to use Festival via speech
dispatcher, I think, made me think the speech dispatcher program is
installed. I went with the default Dapper installation.

I've been trying to install speech dispatcher with apt-get with no luck. I
only found switches to install, not to search packages. Trying speech
dispatcher with or without the dhash, with under scores and javaCasing does
nothing. So I suppose I'm using the wrong package name. No luck with
synaptic and the string dispatcher, either.

By the way, how do I tell whether a package it lists in synaptic is
installed or not? Ive been looking through the columns in that multi-column
list but found no text string that would say installed, not installed, or
something to that effect.

Frankly speaking, I'd really need speech to use Gnome effectively. I'm only
able to use WIndows for small amounts of time relying on magnification
alone, because I know that system. There are basically three things that
make gnome more difficult. First the color scheme. The selection is hard to
spot. I'd like white text on a black background but something like turquoise
for the dialog box backgrounds. So far I haven't found a graphical editor
and the default high-contrast schemes don't work well for me. Secondly my
Windows magnification program tracks the virtual machine mouse poorly, but
that's an OT issue. And finally many of the menus like system or
applications seem to have no underlined mnemonics.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila at mail.student.oulu.fi)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila/